Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gerber Recoil Autopliers (Multitool Review)...

About three years ago I bought myself a new multitool when it came out.
It's lasted me this long and is still going relatively strong, but here are a few things I like and dislike about it.


PROS:
  • Lighter than my old Leatherman Supertool.
  • One-hand opening, spring-loaded push-button mechanism makes using the tool easier (sorta).
  • Enough basic tools to provide assistance in nearly any general-use scenario (screwdrivers, folding knife, scissors, can opener, etc).
  • Sturdier torsion-wise than the Compact Sport (or so they say).
  • Has a very high CDI factor due to its "switchblade-like" opening mechanism. Basically these are OTF pliers. Pretty sweet if you ask me. (This of course is just a bonus. Form, after all, follows function, not the other way around).
CONS:
  • Heavier than the Compact Sport version, which I plan to buy with black-oxide coating sooner or later now that I've given away my old Leatherman.
  • Thicker than the Compact Sport. Longer too.
  • Less reliable than the Compact Sport version due to the number of small working parts that could break eventually.
  • Does not accept the "Gerber Toolbox" bit set like the Compact Sport does.
  • Requires you to have a hard surface to push against in order to retract the pliers, similar to a single-action OTF.

A vid of the action:

video

Manufacturer's Product Page: Recoil Autopliers.
Price: 45.00-60.00 in stores nationwide. I got mine at Target in 2004 or 2005.
Berserker's Overall Rating: 4 Stars, minus 1 star for the aforementioned weaknesses.
PMZ

No comments: