- First, I took my new knife up into the woods, into the hemlocks on a walk with me. I picked a spot near a lean-to where there was a prominent fire circle with logs for people to sit on.
- Unsheathing my tool, I chopped away at the end of the log, finding it very easy going. I ended up making a flat spot on the log for people to rest a hot pot on.
- Then, I turned my attention toward a downed sapling. I bucked it (chopped through it) at two points, in order to make a nice quarterstaff.
- Standing the six-foot length of sapling on its end, I began to shave the bark from its surface. When this was accomplished, I sat down on the fireside log and used my kukri as a drawknife, slowly shaping the staff.
- Soon I realized the hour had passed and I was going to miss supper, so I hid my staff (to prevent it from being burned as firewood) and went to dinner.
- After dinner I returned to my Flat and examined the kukri. Except for a previously-noted ding near the hilt, the edge was pristine, virtually untouched. It had handled all that chopping with complete indifference.
- Determined to figure out what it would take to dull this thing, I began to stab the giant cardboard box that my buddy's Total Gym had come packed in, each time from the point to the hilt. When I had positively porcupined one side of the box, I checked the edge again--it was STILL SHARP!
- After these failures, I gave up trying to dull the thing in one night. Other than being smudged and sapstained from its trials, it was utterly unchanged.
THIS, my friend, is a GOOD TOOL.
Steel: Hand-Forged from Truck Suspension Springs, Differentially heat-treated/Selectively Hardened.
Scabbard: Water-Buffalo-Hide with Brass fittings over wooden frame. Comes with Karda (utility knife) and Chakmak (trad. sharpener/fire scraper).
Place of Purchase: Khukuri House Online. http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/
Price: $33.99 without shipping. All told, around $55-$60.00. Well worth it IMO.
Berserker's Overall Rating: 5.0! This is one helluva knife.
Get one. You won't be disappointed.