Wednesday, October 29, 2008

KH Jungle Training Kukri Review...

I'm so stoked about my new bushknife that I'm breaking my personal gear-review rules...namely, the rules which state I must have owned and used the product for at least a week before commencing writing. However, having handled and familiarized myself with this tool and its edge(s), capabilities and properties I feel qualified to answer a few of the questions I know some of my fellow gearhounds must have about the knives produced by Khukuri House, a company owned by retired Ghurkas who wished to preserve and share the fading legacy of the genuine Khukuri knife. Renowned though it be, many people choose the cheaper, inferior copies produced by American companies who outsource their labor to people who don't take pride in their work. I'm going to tell you right now, Khukuri House and their Bishwakharma (Kukri craftsmen) DO care about the quality of the product they produce on a daily basis, and it DOES make a difference. Here is what I did to test my new tool.
  • First, I took my new knife up into the woods, into the hemlocks on a walk with me. I picked a spot near a lean-to where there was a prominent fire circle with logs for people to sit on.
  • Unsheathing my tool, I chopped away at the end of the log, finding it very easy going. I ended up making a flat spot on the log for people to rest a hot pot on.
  • Then, I turned my attention toward a downed sapling. I bucked it (chopped through it) at two points, in order to make a nice quarterstaff.
  • Standing the six-foot length of sapling on its end, I began to shave the bark from its surface. When this was accomplished, I sat down on the fireside log and used my kukri as a drawknife, slowly shaping the staff.
  • Soon I realized the hour had passed and I was going to miss supper, so I hid my staff (to prevent it from being burned as firewood) and went to dinner.
  • After dinner I returned to my Flat and examined the kukri. Except for a previously-noted ding near the hilt, the edge was pristine, virtually untouched. It had handled all that chopping with complete indifference.
  • Determined to figure out what it would take to dull this thing, I began to stab the giant cardboard box that my buddy's Total Gym had come packed in, each time from the point to the hilt. When I had positively porcupined one side of the box, I checked the edge again--it was STILL SHARP!
  • After these failures, I gave up trying to dull the thing in one night. Other than being smudged and sapstained from its trials, it was utterly unchanged.
Some pics:



THIS, my friend, is a GOOD TOOL.

OVERVIEW:

Steel: Hand-Forged from Truck Suspension Springs, Differentially heat-treated/Selectively Hardened.
Scabbard: Water-Buffalo-Hide with Brass fittings over wooden frame. Comes with Karda (utility knife) and Chakmak (trad. sharpener/fire scraper).
Place of Purchase: Khukuri House Online. http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/
Price: $33.99 without shipping. All told, around $55-$60.00. Well worth it IMO.
Berserker's Overall Rating: 5.0! This is one helluva knife.

Get one. You won't be disappointed.
PMZ

1 comment:

Hodges said...

hey nice review I just ordered one of these but was worried about the quality as ive only been able to find info on the himalayan imports khukuris